The mission of Mzuzu University is to provide quality education, training, research, and complementary services to meet the technological, social, and economic needs of individuals and communities in Malawi.
Mzuzu University is the principal institution of higher education in the Northern Region of Malawi. It was established by an Act of Parliament in 1997 as Malawi’s second national university. The first four-year baccalaureate class graduated in 2002.
Today “Mzuni” enrolls more than 3,600 students from all 28 districts of Malawi studying towards bachelor’s degrees in one of 25 majors or a Masters or Ph.D. degree in one of nine concentrations. Main areas of study include:
- Science and Arts Education
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Land Management
- Physical Planning
- Water Resources Management
- Library and Information Sciences
- Information and Communications Technology
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Biomedical Sciences
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Security Studies
- Transformative Community Development
- Information Theory, Coding and Cryptography
Mzuni also offers open and distance learning to students using print media, multimedia, internet-based media, and web technology. Academic Centers include the Centre for Security Studies, the Centre of Excellence in Water and Sanitation, and the Test and Training Centre for Renewable Energy Technologies.